Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Monarchs and Milkweed

We always let a few milkweed plants continue to grow around the house so that we get the chance to watch these caterpillars. We find it fascinating to see how much they eat and how fast they grow. It won't be long until this one finds a sturdy twig, begins pupation and forms its chrysalis.



After about two weeks, a Monarch butterfly will emerge, and we will enjoy two to eight weeks of its delicate beauty.


Among the websites containing information about Monarch butterflies, there is a great one here for kids that contains coloring pages, puzzles, etc.

2 comments:

  1. we have two kinds of milkweed plants down our driveway and I have checked them all summer and never ever find a caterpillar. There are plenty of monarch butterflies around though.
    We did see a cool spider that its web was folded up in a milkweed leaf ...but I didn't have my camera with me.
    Monarch caterpillars are so pretty! I'm glad you posted this...I'll *watch* your caterpillar!

    happy day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like to keep a milkweed patch too. I think the flowers are beautiful, and they smell so sweet.

    ReplyDelete